Students must take a range of courses that support the disciplines within science, prepare them for the upper-level courses in the three packages they chose, and fulﬁll BSc lower-level requirements. In addition core requirements, students select three packages of a minimum of nine upper-level credits.
Required Core Courses
- MATH 100/101 (or equivalent)
- One of STAT 200, STAT 241, STAT 251 or BIOL 300
- Communicating Science (SCIE 300)
- One of CPSC 100, CPSC 103, CPSC 110, CPSC 301, EOSC 211, MATH 210 or PHYS 210
Required Core Lab Courses
Any two of the following lab courses.
- CHEM 315 or 355 (1 cr) - Prerequisites: CHEM 233, 235, 205
- EOSC 442 (1 cr) - Prerequisites: EOSC 340 and one of (EOSC 211, PHYS 210, CPSC 301)
- BIOL 342 (2 cr) - Prerequisite: BIOL 121, 140 (BIOL 112 recommended)
- PHYS 309 (3 cr) - Prerequisite: PHYS219 + 229
To plan your CMS program you must select three areas (we call them packages) of science that you wish to explore.
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Life Science
- Mathematical Sciences
- Physics and Astronomy
Generalist Requirement: Three Credits
This can be taken in third or fourth year. Three credits from a discipline not represented in your three packages. Only required for students who started in the program prior to 2019S.
Questions about requirements? Check out the FAQ section!